General Description and Classification Standards
Individuals in this position operate garbage trucks, vehicles and other equipment for the Public Works department in a safe and effective manner with a valid Georgia Commercial Driver's License with Class A or B endorsement as appropriate to equipment operated.
Duties include, but are not limited to; operating trucks, equipment, performing repairs, and preparing necessary documentation. This is an experienced, skilled or technical level capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the position or specialty with limited guidance or review. This level would be considered a promotional level and attainable by any incumbents in a work group who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, ability, and performance. Could be the only position in this specialty in a work group or could be part of a general or public.
Works under direct supervision and follows standard procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks; may work independently or with other workers with responsibility for completion of assigned specialized work team.
Essential Duties & ResponsibilitiesThese are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Operates dual-drive garbage truck, conventional rear loader garbage truck, MAD VAC, mini-garbage truck, tandem dump truck or open body dump truck in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
- Performs manual work associated with the collection of waste which may include household garbage, trash, yard trimmings, furniture, bedding, animal waste, tires, etc.
- Performs manual work associated with the collection of waste which may include the use of shovels, rakes, brooms, or pitchforks to empty receptacles and pick up yard trimmings.
- Evaluates daily schedule to determine if a midday trip to the landfill is necessary based on the number of houses on the route ensuring the efficient use of time and resources.
- Performs vehicle pre/post-trip inspections which may include duties such as checking oil, tires, and fluid levels of vehicle.
- Maintains and secures all departmental vehicles and equipment as directed by legislation, policies and procedures which may include cleaning, performing minor repairs and/or reporting damages to supervision to ensure equipment is operable in an efficient time frame allowing for operations of daily work details to continue.
- Retrieves scale reports from landfill operators to record and maintain daily records identifying the amount of waste that was transported and dumped.
- Reviews and signs documents such as, work orders, service request forms, attendance records, daily or weekly work reports, employee records, and preventive maintenance records necessary for scheduled maintenance or warranties.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with management, employees, and members of the general public.
Works under general supervision. Depending on the objective, may work within team or independently with responsibility for an assigned task or project. Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
Typically, none; may provide training to new-hires, temporary or contract workers which may include safety rules, equipment operation, standard operating procedures, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesThis is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
QualificationsMinimum Qualifications - Education and Experience
- Knowledge of safe operating procedures for the various trucks and other rolling stock that may have to be operated in completing daily assignments.
- Skill in operating vehicles, equipment, and tools.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of job related trucks and machines at a satisfactory level required for active work.
- Must be able to perform physical labor as well as move or carry related objects or materials.
- Requires the ability to effectively use written and verbal communication to convey or exchange professional information.
- Requires the ability to learn and understand subject matter principles and techniques.
- Ability to make independent judgments in absence of supervision.
- Ability to acquire and expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation.
- Ability to use simple mathematical formulas; add and subtract; multiply and divide; determine percentages; and determine or interpret time and weight.
- Ability to inspect items for proper length, width, and shape.
- May require the ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
- Ability to interact with people beyond giving the receiving instructions.
- Must be adaptable to performing under minimal stress when confronted with an emergency.
High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
One (1) year experience operating Rear Loader Garbage Truck, Tandem Dump Truck, Mechanical Street Sweeper, Knuckleboom, Front-End Loader, Rubber Tire Loader or other equipment that would prepare applicant to operate Public Works equipment utilized by the position.
Preferred Education & Experience
High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) and 2 years' experience operating commercial trucks or other equipment that would prepare applicant to operate Public Works equipment utilized by the position.
Licensures and Certifications
Valid Class 'A' or 'B' CDL State of Georgia Drivers License
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.Job:
falseForecasted paid hours per shift:atlantaga.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=190142&lang=enForecasted paid hours per week:
Associated topics: cdl a company, cdl a driver, class a driver, company driving team, company truck driving, dedicated truck driver, flatbed and dry van otr trucking, otr company, tanker truck, tanker truck driving