Southeast Georgia Health System has an opportunity for a Medical Technologist
to join our team!
The Medical Technologist
- Performs a variety of clinical laboratory tests, procedures and related duties
- Must exercise independent judgment to perform and report findings proficiently for clinical laboratory tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Actively participates in compliance of accreditation and regulatory standards (Joint Commission, CAP, CLIA 88, GDHR) which relate to all areas of the laboratory
- Follows established standards and practices
- Works flexible hours to include weekends and holidays
- Participates in training phlebotomy and MLT students
The Medical Technologist
performs the following essential responsibilities:
- Performs proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Uses quality control samples to verify accuracy and precision of test results and adheres to the laboratory's policies.
- Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen collection, labeling handling, transport and processing.
- Performs and documents instrument and procedural calibrations, troubleshooting and maintenance as required or indicated. Exercises judgment and accepts responsibility in resolving technical problems.
- Performs test procedures, identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results. Corrects the problems or seeks guidance from the Laboratory Director, Laboratory Medical Director, Team Coordinator or designee for problem resolution.
- Reports and maintains laboratory results utilizing written procedure and policy guidelines. Coordinates and assists with special projects (e.g. health fairs, correlations, policy/procedure manual review, policies/procedures, new test implementation)
- Effectively operates all computer systems and functions associated with them to includeorder entry, resulting, error correction and applicable billing and auditing processes.
The ideal Medical Technologist
candidate should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Medical Technologist (MT) classification by the State of Georgia required
- Bachelors degree in medical technology or a related field required
- Completion of Laboratory Clinical Rotation required
All team members of Southeast Georgia Health System will promote a culture of safety, follow established policies, adhere to all state and federal regulatory requirements, Joint Commission requirements, and national patient safety goals.
All team members of Southeast Georgia Health System will promote service excellence by developing and maintaining positive relationships with customers, other team members, and the medical staff and will ensure the highest quality of care by performing their responsibilities according to the highest professional standards.
This description of job responsibilities is intended to reflect the major responsibilities and duties of the job, but is not intended to describe minor duties or other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or national origin. EOE/AA: M/F/D/V
Associated topics: hematopathology, lab, laboratory, medical lab science, mlt, sample collection, surgical technologist, technician i, technician ii, technician lab