The State Accounting Office (SAO) provides accounting and financial reporting expertise for the State and is responsible for statewide financial reporting, oversight and management of the State's ERP system, accounting policy, internal control, business process improvement recommendations, and management of the SAO Shared Service Center.
The Statewide Accounting & Reporting (SWAR) Division is responsible for the planning, coordination and delivery of the state's regulatory financial reports, along with the compliance and risk management functions. Compliance activities include the preparation of the Single Audit Report, oversight and management of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP), and establishing and assessing agency internal controls in order to more effectively manage risk and maintain accountability.
SWAR is a dynamic and highly successful team dedicated to the continuous improvement of financial reporting, and providing value to the stakeholders of Georgia. SWAR is seeking an Internal Controls Analyst to become part of the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Internal Controls Analyst will assist in maintaining, updating and monitoring a comprehensive internal control framework over the financial reporting processes to ensure material misstatements of the State's financial statements are prevented or detected and corrected on a timely basis. His/her role is to evaluate, monitor, and improve statewide internal controls and financial accountability. The candidate will also be responsible to assist in the preparation of the Single Audit Report, and may provide oversight and management of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP).
Position duties will be to:
* Maintain, update and monitor practical internal control tools and guidance to State agencies based on the Standards for Internal Control in the Federal Government (Green Book)
* Assist agencies with assessments of their financial reporting risks
* Document and make recommendations regarding gaps in operations, reporting, and compliance controls
* Conduct periodic risk assessment processes at both the agency and statewide levels
* Work with agencies' management to monitor the effectiveness of controls, and to identify weaknesses and breakdowns in controls
* Coordinate with agencies' management and State auditors to address findings and follow up on corrective action plans
* Conduct individual and group training sessions on internal controls.
* Keep current on PCAOB, COSO, GAAP and other applicable guidance, and evaluate how changes to these guidelines could impact the State's internal controls design
* Prepare executive level reports for communication of results
* Prepare and coordinate portions of the Single Audit Report for the State of Georgia
* Prepare and coordinate portions of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP)
* Other duties and special projects as assigned
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* 2 years or more of work experience in the public sector
* Knowledge of internal control design and ability to evaluate operating effectiveness
* Knowledge and understanding of the Green Book, COSO Framework, risk assessment practices, fraud prevention, and risk assessments
* Experience in writing control policies, procedures, process evaluation and documentation
* The flexibility and independence to work in a changing and unstructured environment
* Sense of detail/accuracy as well as the ability to see the larger picture
* Ability to multi-task and prioritize
* Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance or a closely related field from an accredited college or university AND One year of professional level experience in accounting and/or a closely related fiscal activity.
Associated topics: budget, finance, financial analyst, financial analyst i, financial analyst ii, financial services, fiscal, gs 0510, insurance, loan
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.